Rental authorities

Rental authorities are the government organisations whose purpose is to manage the implementation of legislation relating to residential rental properties. They include tribunals who assist with resolving disputes between tenants, landlords and agents.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is of a general nature, highlighting authorities, processes, documents and laws to be aware of as a private landlord. It is your responsibility to look up the rental laws and rental documents relevant to your state/territory. Contact the appropriate rental authority for advice. 

Where is your rental property located?

Choose the state or territory to link to a list of rental authorities and other government authorities who manage legislation, tenancy processes, disputes and more.

Rental authorities in ACT

The ACT Revenue Office is responsible for the receipt and management of rental bonds in the ACT and provide an online bond portal which landlords/lessors can use.

The ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (ACAT) makes decisions for disputes between tenants, lessors (landlords) and agents. It’s decisions are legally binding.

Rental property disputes may involve:

  • rental bond refunds
  • termination of a lease
  • warrants for eviction
  • payment orders
  • protected persons
  • outcomes in previous rental property disputes at ACAT.

Rental authorities in NSW

NSW Fair Trading provides information to tenants, landlords and real estate agents about their rights and responsibilities in relation to renting residential premises.

Their services include

If Fair Trading is unable to find a mutually agreed solution by the parties involved in a residential tenancy dispute or the complaint is not covered by Fair Trading, then you will need to seek assistance from The NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT). It is the main forum for hearing and deciding on applications for orders from tenants and landlords. Their orders are legally binding and enforceable.

Some of the areas NCAT can make orders on relating to residential tenancies include:

  • ending tenancy agreements
  • rental bond payments
  • compensation claims to be paid to the landlord or tenant
  • excessive rent increases
  • compliance with terms of the tenancy agreement.

Rental authorities in NT

Consumer Affairs provides advice to landlords relating to managing residential rental properties.

The NTCAT assists to resolve civil disputes including residential tenancy matters up to an amount of $25,000.

Rental authorities in QLD

The Queensland government statutory authority that helps tenants, landlords and property managers with residential rental tenancies. They provide:

  • information and support relating to tenancies and managing tenancies
  • management of bond payments and lodgement including online services
  • dispute resolution
  • investigations and prosecutions for offences under the current residential tenancies legislation
  • education services including webinars and videos to assist tenants and landlords to understand their rights, responsibilities and processes relating to using their services and adhering to the current residential tenancies legislation.

Matters relating to residential tenancies disputes which are not able to be resolved by the Residential Tenancies Authority can be heard at The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT). As an independent, accessible tribunal, QCAT’s focus is to efficiently resolve disputes relating to matters covered by Queensland legislation.

As at 1 July 2019 application fees for matters relating to residential tenancy range from $26.95 to $345.80 depending on the amount of the claim. See Fees and allowances for up to date information relating to fees.

Rental authorities in SA

The South Australian Government provides detailed information relating to housing and renting.

Renting is the gateway to specific information relating to renting privately, residential bonds and more.

Consumer and Business Services provide advice and information relating to renting and bonds.

SACAT deals with disputes between landlords and tenants relating to a residential tenancy agreement relevant to the Residential Tenancies Act 1995.

Rental authorities in TAS

Rental authorities in VIC

Consumer Affairs Victoria provide information relating to renting including rental agreements, applications, rent, starting and ending a lease, repairs, using a property manager and renting guide.

Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA online) can be used by renters (tenants), rental providers (private landlords) and agents to view bond information, amend bond details, arrange a bond refund and to transfer a bond.

VCAT hears cases between tenants and landlords relating to renting a home.

Rental authorities in WA

Links to more information about renting